Sonia Sumitra Thakar
It is said that there are 330 million gods in Hinduism. A daunting number, to be sure, especially if one is new on the spiritual path and wants to establish a way to connect with a Higher Power. However, the rationale behind this is that in Hinduism there is one Supreme Power and bhaktas are the freedom to choose a form of their liking, in order to make the path easier.
We all know, when we do what we like, things become so much easier and enjoyable, right? Similarly, praying to a form of god we admire or feel an affinity towards, makes it easier to sing their praise and reap the benefits that come with it.
For someone new to prayer, reading Sanskrit texts may be a tedious and difficult proposition. And that is why several great poets came up with chalisas. These are 40-verse prayers in simple language and they extol the beauty of the chosen form of the divine—male or female—and the benefits of praying to him/her. One such prayer is the Vishnu Chalisa.
The Vishnu Chalisa
Lord Vishnu is the second in the trinity of Hindu gods—Brahma (the Creator), Vishnu (the Sustainer) and Shiva (the Destroyer). Vishnu is believed to be the protector and sustainer of the universe and is said to have taken incarnation as various avatars to protect the world from evil and ensure peace prevails on earth. The Vishnu Chalisa is a simple yet potent prayer that can take the person chanting it ahead on the spiritual path.
The Vishnu Chalisa extols the beauty of Lord Vishnu, popularly known as Narayana or Hari. It gives a vivid and beautiful description of Lord Vishnu, the very epitome of love and kindness, and his abode in Vaikunta where he is said to reside with his consort goddess Lakshmi (the goddess of wealth and prosperity) on the Kshirasagara (Ocean of Milk).
Benefits of chanting Vishnu Chalisa
- It is said that chanting the Vishnu Chalisa removes all our fears, sorrows and miseries. It nullifies our sins and helps us deal with our weaknesses and mental dilemmas.
- It invokes the blessings of Lord Vishnu, the protector of the universe who bestows us with peace of mind, prosperity and auspiciousness.
- Chanting the Vishnu Chalisa with faith and devotion can act as a shield against all negative influences and feelings and can fill our hearts and homes with positivity and love.
- It can also strengthen the mind, help increase our power of concentration and enable us to focus better and succeed in life.
- Eventually, chanting the Vishnu Chalisa can lead us to attain the ultimate spiritual goal of liberation.
Even if you don’t know the exact meaning of the Vishnu Chalisa, chanting it regularly with love and faith can have immense benefits in your life. In fact, it is believed that Bheeshma said that mere listening to the Vishnu Chalisa with devotion washes away our sins and brings us peace.
The Vishnu Chalisa is the simplest and most effective prayer to seek the blessings of Lord Vishnu and attain peace of mind.
So, why not order a premium copy of this chalisa today and invoke his blessings to extend his protective umbrella over you and your family. Our gorgeous edition of the Vishnu Chalisa would also make a lovely and meaningful gift for a close family member or friend.
Order your own copy today and see the difference chanting the Vishnu Chalisa makes in your life. Click Here