Sonia Sumitra Thakar
Lord Shiva is one of the principal deities in Hinduism. He is the ‘destroyer’ aspect of the trinity of gods—Brahma, Vishnu, and Maheshwara. While Shiva or Mahadev is associated with destruction, he is also a symbol of mercy and is actually said to be very easy to please.
He is easily gratified when we chant Shiv mantras and the scriptures give us a plethora of these—ranging from the simplest ‘Om Namah Shivaya’ to hymns that have multiple verses. Our compilation Shree Shiv Nitya Aaradhana
has a comprehensive selection of the most powerful and yet easy to recite prayers to invoke the blessings of Lord Shiva. Of these prayers, the Shree Shiv Ashtak and Shiv Shatnamavalli are two that can be chanted on a daily basis with ease and help us reap rich benefits.
Shree Shiv Ashtak
Ashtakams are poetic compositions in Sanskrit that comprise of eight stanzas. The Shree Shiv Ashtak was composed by Sri Adishankaracharya and is a collection of eight verses dedicated to the Adiyogi, Lord Shiva. This song is one of the most powerful mantras written in praise of Lord Shiva and is a descriptive salutation of the various attributes of Shiva as well as a humble prayer for his blessings. It extols the beauty and powers of Mahadev as the omnipotent and omnipresent God of the Universe.
Chanting the Shivashtakam with faith and concentration, immensely pleases lord Shiva and he always comes to the aid of his devotees. Some of the benefits of reciting the Shiv Ashtakam on a regular basis are:
- Helps one harness spiritual energy, bringing one closer to God and further ahead on the path to gaining knowledge of the self.
- Gives strength, wisdom, and will power to deal with obstacles and problems in life.
- Brings confidence and helps in making clear financial decisions with intuition and clarity.
- Helps to ease a troubled mind and keep negative energies at bay.
- Has healing powers—helps in maintaining good physical and mental health.
- Exposes us to new and exciting opportunities in life and gives us success in our job and career. It can open doors to abundance and happiness.
Shree Shiv Shatnamavalli
The Shree Shiv Shatnamavalli is the collective of 108 names of Lord Shiva as given in the Shiva Purana that represents his various manifestations, forms and attributes. Several of these names are related to a story or incident in Hindu mythology involving Lord Shiva. When these names are recited, one recollects these stories and cannot but wonder at Lord Shiva’s supreme power and infinite compassion.
Reciting the 108 names of Lord Shiva with a pure and clean mind can be highly efficacious. Some of the benefits it can bring to our lives are:
- Helps rid us of our sorrows and give us the emotional strength to deal with loss and pain.
- Helps in overcoming obstacles or problems.
- Regular recitation raises our consciousness and brings us peace of mind.
- Lord Shiva blesses those who worship him with devotion by protecting them from ill-health and diseases.
- Wards away bad luck and opens doors to good fortune and abundance.
Elaborate rituals are not always required to please Lord Shiva. Reciting his various names and mantras on a daily basis can suffice to invoke his blessings and bring us happiness and prosperity.
Start chanting today when you order the Shree Shiva Nitya Aaradhana —a luxurious product dedicated to the Adiyogi. Imbibe the bliss that Lord Shiva embodies and drink in the beauty of his name and form.